Brighton and Hove Older People’s Music (BHOPM) is the place for the city’s older people to access high quality music-making provision: our online and in person older people’s jam sessions, one-to-one doorstep and phone sessions, and bedside music sessions.
According to the Brighton & Hove Health and Wellbeing Strategy (HWBS) 2019-30, the city’s population is ageing whilst average healthy life expectancy is declining:
- The risk of loneliness in over 65s in our city is in the top 20% in England
- 41% of over 65-year-olds live alone
Arts and cultural activities offer compelling ways to address loneliness. Research shows that community music activities create cultural resources and capacities, challenge social isolation and promote a sense of community (Gibson & Gordon, 2018; Schiavio et al., 2019). However older people are often excluded from participating due to the cost, a lack of confidence or the ability to go out independently due to health conditions such as dementia. Arts Council England research shows that 11% of adults not engaging with the arts are homebound older people.
BHOPM is our contribution to combatting loneliness amongst older people in the city. Founded on a partnership between BHMC & Wishing Well Music for Health, funded by Brighton & Hove City Council’s Third Sector Partnership 2020-23, BHOPM also includes work with people living with dementia and carers, as part of the Ageing Well partnership (BHCC and Brighton & Hove CCG -funded), and Silver Strings.
Free to access, unless stated
- Musical Box Scheme: one-to-one online / doorstep sessions; resources provided. Days / times to suit
- Stretch and Sing Club / Music and Motion: our online Wednesday afternoon music club – songs, quizzes, sounds, chat, fun!
- Tea & Jam: over-50s’ outdoor jam session – music in the moment!: Wednesday lunchtimes, central Brighton & Hollingdean
- Music and Motion: online dementia-friendly Friday morning music club: songs, quizzes, sounds, chat, fun!
- interactive bedside music-making in hospital settings, from Wishing Well Music for Health
- outdoor & in person social centre / care home / seniors housing sessions (some funded, some chargeable – please enquire)
- Silver Strings – Brighton & Hove’s very own later-starter community string band: beginners / returners welcome. Free Open Session first Tuesday morning of the month (fee applies for subsequent sessions)
- bedside music sessions for care home residents (fee applies)
- Telephone Tea Parties, with Time To Talk Befriending