Strings for over-50s:
Always wanted to play a musical instrument? Come and try us out!
Silver Strings, Brighton & Hove’s very own later-starter community string band, has been running since early 2013. So far we have introduced 200+ older people to playing stringed instruments together.
Now in our 11th year, in 2023, we’re offering an exciting new four-week programme cycle:
fortnightly: Silver Strings – weeks 1 & 3
- play with others in our friendly group, with the focus on reading music, as well as developing musicianship skills
- dates: 5th / 19th September, 3rd / 17th / 31st October, 14th / 28th November, 12th December
- cost: £13.50/session, payable upfront every two months
- 50% bursaries available for those on low incomes (thanks to The Paley Trust)
- Silver Strings also perform several times per year in, eg: Sussex Prairie Garden, Royal Pavilion Gardens
monthly – week 2: a) beginners’ strings & b) strings-based improvisation
a) Completely new to playing, or returning after a long break? The beginners’ session is for you. We even provide the instruments to try! 9:30-10:25am
b) Improvisation using strings: group-based exploration of listening, sound, non-verbal communication, curiosity, and the present moment. 10:40-11:25am
No experience is required for either of these sessions, and anyone over 50 is very welcome. The session is free as it’s funded by BHCC’s Third Sector Partnership. NB: booking required.
Dates: 12th September, 10th October, 7th November, 5th December
monthly – week 4: Strings Unbarred – playing together beyond reading music
- skills development: learning by ear, creating music together, listening
- minimum ability on instrument: major scale
- dates: 26th September, 24th October, 21st November, 19th December
- cost: £13.50/session if all four sessions paid upfront (ie: £54 total), otherwise £17/session
More details and booking via our contact form: https://musicforconnection.co.uk/contact
Silver Strings is co-ordinated and facilitated by Bela Emerson, professional cellist and Goldsmiths’-trained community musician.
“Starting from a total beginner, you have brought me on to the point where I can play. Joining Silver Strings has changed my life, now making music is part of my everyday and I’m loving it!”
“Good for the brain & a great feeling of achievement!”
“I was very proud of our joint efforts at the wedding, I got quite lost in the moment!”
– PG, participant